Sheryl Winarick is a U.S. immigration lawyer with an infectious joie de vivre. She is committed to providing high quality legal advice and representation to her clients, and treating each of them with respect and dignity. In 2017 Sheryl merged her immigration and naturalization practice with Blue Dot, in part to strengthen her capacity to serve clients’ needs while she is engaged in a year-long U.S. Listening Tour, exploring culture & identity and our relationship to change through civil, civic discourse in communities around the country.
With over 18 years of experience, through her work Sheryl enables individuals, families, businesses and organizations to maximize their potential in the U.S. She advises on a wide range of immigration matters, including employment and family based immigrant and nonimmigrant petitions, adjustment to permanent resident status, consular processing, waiver applications, naturalization, temporary protected status (TPS) and political asylum. While initially she was attracted to immigration law as a way to “help people” she now realizes that her clients have had the most profoundly positive impact on her own life.
“Imagine being surrounded by hopeful, solutions-oriented people all the time. Right, that’s my life. My clients inspire me on a daily basis and challenge me to reach my own full potential.”
Sheryl’s career is consistent with her greater life purpose ~ building bridges of understanding and appreciation across culture, religion, race, nationality, gender, age, and class. She has a gift for seeing the best in people and inspiring people to see the best in themselves and others. With the expanded resources Blue Dot provides, and by combining our networks, we can better identify synergy between our clients, colleagues and friends. That’s where the real magic happens.
As a TED Resident, Sheryl spent 3 months in 2016 at the TED office in New York, incubating a project to engage people around the USA in conversations and activities to discover and celebrate the worlds within our local communities. Through a growing coalition including countless local partners and national organizations like Welcoming America – Sheryl is committed to doing whatever she can to help shift society away from division and fear to promote inclusion, hope and joy by facilitating opportunities for meaningful and fun personal interaction.
BAR/COURT ADMISSION & LEGAL PRACTICE
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- State of Maryland / Maryland Court of Appeals
- Practice Limited to Immigration and Naturalization Law
- Juris Doctorate, George Washington University Law School, 1998 (Michael Dillon Cooley Award)
- International Human Rights Law Program, Oxford University, 1996
- Bachelor of Science in Bio-Environmental Science, Texas A&M University, 1994 (Presidential Endowed Scholar)
- Law Office of Sheryl Winarick, PLLC, Immigration and Naturalization Law
- Justice For Our Neighbors Program of the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR), Supervising Immigration Attorney
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC), Staff Immigration Attorney
- American Immigration Lawyers Association 2002 – present
- Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society 2002 – present // Public Policy Committee 2009 – present
- Teaching for Change 2011 – 2013 // Board of Directors
- Miriam’s Kitchen – Board of Directors (former)
- United Nations Association of the National Capital Area – Board of Directors (former)
TEDx TALKS and PRESENTATIONS
- Building Bridges of Understanding (TEDxDanubia, May 2017)
- Welcoming the Stranger Inspires Hope (TEDxVail, Jan 2017)
- Inspired People Inspire People – Ask an Immigrant! (TEDxBeaconStreet, Nov 2016)
- Talking to Each Other is the Only Way to Heal our Divided Nation (TEDxMidAtlantic, Oct 2016)
- Immigrants Keep America Great (TED Residency, July 2016)
- StoryCorps | Sheryl Winarick & Esther Fanord (TEDxAmericanUniversity, Apr 2015)
- 10 TRAITS Women’s Leadership Talk on Conflict Resolution from the Inside Out – Naropa University (Nov 2014)