Brian Mikulencak* focuses his practice on tax and nonprofit laws that affect social impact businesses, their investors, and nonprofits. He has extensive experience counseling on the tax treatment of business formations, financings and lending transactions, equity compensation, mergers and other acquisitive transactions, divestitures, joint ventures, and cross-border transactions. He also works with nonprofit entities on formations and structuring, compliance with fundraising regulations, and strategic relationships with other organizations. Recent representations and activities include:
- Representation of $2.8M company in reorganizing as a “steward owned” company and, in connection, issuing revenue-based redeemable equity
- Advised non-profit sponsor in creating target $25M real estate fund designed to enhance stability and employment in low income and distressed communities
- Structured PRI investment fund for making non-traditional investments in grassroots organizations in the Global South
- Testimony to a Texas House committee in the successful passage of Public Benefit Corporation legislation
Brian graduated from the University of Chicago Law School in 2007 and is licensed in California and Texas. Before law school Brian studied design and worked in the architecture business in New York and San Francisco. After bouncing around the country, Brian is happy to once again call Austin his home and he spends much of his free time being chased by his kids.
* right? here’s a little help: \′mik-ǝl-′lan-chek\